Fifty Shades

Talk about anything off the top of your head. Chat, socialize, anything...
bellamyspiano

Fifty Shades

Post by bellamyspiano »

Anyone read them here? Interested to know what people think, if anything...?

I find the whole thing sorta laughable, how fickle the public can be. How BDSM is taboo one week then acceptable the next due to a top selling book.

The books are certainly not great, terribly written and the characters are dull (shame, as Christian is complex but she does not - or is not capable of - delving into his mind). It could have been a brilliant series IMO.

Either way, Christian is sexy and competent, dominant and lingers on your mind, and the content is good for a late night read :-)
comicglutton

Re: Fifty Shades

Post by comicglutton »

I gather it's a book aimed chiefly at the female market. Haven't read it, but many of my girl friends are gushing ( no pun intended!) over it. ;)
bellamyspiano

Post by bellamyspiano »

Yes indeed. A book aimed at the female market that many men need to read for advice in my opinion (present company excluded, of course!)
petkajira

Post by petkajira »

bellamyspiano wrote:Anyone read them here? Interested to know what people think, if anything...?

I find the whole thing sorta laughable, how fickle the public can be. How BDSM is taboo one week then acceptable the next due to a top selling book.

The books are certainly not great, terribly written and the characters are dull (shame, as Christian is complex but she does not - or is not capable of - delving into his mind). It could have been a brilliant series IMO.

Either way, Christian is sexy and competent, dominant and lingers on your mind, and the content is good for a late night read :-)
Honestly, I don't know anyone who has read any of them. It seems a cheap attempt to cash in on the trilogy fashion - and in this case the "Beauty series" by Anne Rice.

Lots of chatter about the film version, and who to cast as Anastasia (Emma Watson was the latest I saw on line). Don't know about that....Emma is pretty and smart, but not the BDSM type in my opinion.

About Christian, a hundred hunks could play that part.
petkajira

Post by petkajira »

Tan, what do you think? Is Emma Watson too squeaky clean for Anastasia Steele?
bellamyspiano

Post by bellamyspiano »

Funnily enough, if you read the book, you will find that Anastasia is not into BDSM either. She is pretty and smart and doesn't understand his desires (at first) - so Emma Watson might fit the role rather well.

Christian, well yes...I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Fassbender playing him (that man is WICKED in real life) but he is 35 and Chris is only supposed to be 27 - a major turn off in my opinion.
petkajira

Post by petkajira »

bellamyspiano wrote:Funnily enough, if you read the book, you will find that Anastasia is not into BDSM either. She is pretty and smart and doesn't understand his desires (at first) - so Emma Watson might fit the role rather well.

Christian, well yes...I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Fassbender playing him (that man is WICKED in real life) but he is 35 and Chris is only supposed to be 27 - a major turn off in my opinion.
I haven't read the first book, so I defer to your analysis. :D

Emma seems a very sweet girl. Maybe a perfect "victim" (if victim she is).
bellamyspiano

Post by bellamyspiano »

Anastasia is defo a victim, as is he (for many f@cked up reasons) - again, they're not as hardcore as people make them out to be. Or maybe we're just VERY hardcore around here.

I have people going 'oooohhhh, there's all sorts of whips and shackles and stuff' then I read it and thought... 'Is this it????' LMAO!
petkajira

Post by petkajira »

So it sounds rather tame, and maybe just softer DOM/sub. No racks or hot coals, or pits filled with vermin. hee hee.
bellamyspiano

Post by bellamyspiano »

There IS a rack - a whole PLAYROOM infact - but they sorta fall in love and hardly use it...