Requesting Permission for Superheroine Fansadox Fanarts

Comments and requests to DOFANTASY.COM artists and art staff. Send your ideas, fantasies, stories, whatever you want to see in a coming DOFANTASY.COM comic.
ROBERTS

Re: Requesting Permission for Superheroine Fansadox Fanarts

Post by ROBERTS »

Wow...way too many people out there with good computers!

Your other major issue (and this is only if you happen to get enough attention to be noticed) is with the owners of the "Supergirl" and "X-Men" and other mainstream comics titles..even coming a wee bit close to these can be dangerous, especially when connecting them to hard BDSM images. So, getting the Artist and Publisher to agree is great, and I'm in there with them should any of my stuff be included, it's fine..just don't go commercial (unless you cut me in for 50%, then we'll talk)..Just be careful of the mainstream comics titles! I used to do work for both Disney and Warner Bros., and I'll tell you it is a FACT they go after artists legally for manipulating their licensed images or infringement of a trademark, and some big money lawsuits have been the result. In this day, when EVERY comics character could be the subject of a $100 million dollar movie project, these properties are protected jealously by herds of hungry lawyers. Just be careful!!
Dr.Villain

Post by Dr.Villain »

Thanks a lot for your advice, Mr. Roberts! I currently put my whole DA page into "storage mode" so that the pictures are currently hidden from visitors. I think I'll remove the titles from the pictures ("Supergirl", "X-Men", etc). Would that help, if just a little bit?

I've seen a lot of erotic fanarts of Supergirl and other mainstream comic properties, so maybe if it's just the pictures of the characters themselves (without the obvious titles referring them as such) it'll lower the chance of getting sued or something?

All this time I've thought that as long as it's non-commercial it'll be okay since I don't receive any profits whatsoever anyway.
The Master of Superheroines in Peril!
http://drvillain.deviantart.com
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Interesting post, Roberts.

Does this protection also included any and all fan-art images? Because there is an awful lot of fan-art out there that depicts DC and Marvel characters in a sexual context. I don't see how they could go after all of them.
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Of course you're right Demosthenes..it would be quite impossible to police ALL of the images now online, and the thousands of new ones generated almost monthly by the millions of computer owners with some talent and some version of Photoshop. I would venture a guess that 99% go unnoticed and attract no attention from the lawyers. A problem will arise only if you're work of art becomes popular and somehow goes viral, and reaches the top search status, getting the attention of the property owners very quickly then. As long as these things are limited and do not directly infringe upon copyrights, it is a pretty safe area. And yes, commercial gain is a factor too. Although the case has been made in previous cases that by soiling the image of a licensed character which is recognizeable in a sex depiction, the earning potential of the character is damaged. This is all pretty much American civil law stuff, the rest of the world doesn't spend it's time engaged in pointless lawsuits like we Americans tend to do.
Take the titles off the pics, and I'm convinced you're pretty safe as long as you don't suddenly become the world's most popular pic manipulation artist and get #1 on Google searches for your images (like I did with Britney)..
Aldranar

Post by Aldranar »

ROBERTS wrote:you're pretty safe as long as you don't suddenly become the world's most popular pic manipulation artist and get #1 on Google searches for your images (like I did with Britney)..
Did you actually encounter problems with that? As in, lawsuits or the likes?
DefRekker

Post by DefRekker »

Fascinating stuff, kudos
ifob8

Post by ifob8 »

Do you plan on drawing Deadly Platform, Dr. Vilain... :P :t
Life is a party
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Aldranar: No actually, it was amusing just how QUIET it got when I reached Top Search status on Google with the first "StarFuckers" comic. All you had to do was search "Britney" or "Britney Spears" and that comic's location was in the top 5 searches every time. For a while it hit the top. So I know Brit and her people were aware of it. In my view, it was unfortunate that they DIDN'T raise a stink...that level of publicity would have been priceless to me. They chose to not make me enormously famous.
blacklion

Post by blacklion »

Dr.Villain, any chance you'll make more cross property images like the ones you made before?
Casotto

Post by Casotto »

As a fan of sexy superheroines in bondage, I love your tweaking of Fansadox art. Fansadox should definitely have more superheroine-themed comix.
My New Blog: Comixxx Extreme