How is a comic made

Comments and requests to DOFANTASY.COM artists and art staff. Send your ideas, fantasies, stories, whatever you want to see in a coming DOFANTASY.COM comic.
Rubberstrap

How is a comic made

Post by Rubberstrap »

I would be very intersted to hear about the process, from beginning to end, of making and publishing a DoFantasy comic. Can anyone explain this?
Glandux

Re: How is a comic made

Post by Glandux »

first step, write the story.
then draw the the comic (on paper or with a tablet)
then ink it
then put it in color
and finally put the texts on.
Marty17

Post by Marty17 »

I remember Cagri posted a clip of him animating a female victim from scratch. Which was brilliant to see.
Aldranar

Post by Aldranar »

Ah yes indeed, Cagri did nicely.

Actually, Fernando, could you do something alike as well, with Mrs. Bauer for example? As in, start on a white sheet and then draw her? And of course videotape it :D
That would be awesome really ^^
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

I have to come up with an exciting idea first. It helps if it's a situation that gets me going personally..the more I put my own tastes and mad sexual fantasies in the comic, the better it comes out. I always go farther to make scenes really good when I'm enjoying them myself.
My process is: Daydream the picture I want to see, then pencil sketch on paper until I have it how I want it. Once it's worked out in pencil, i draw a final in pencil, tracing the sketch, then ink it with black drafting pen. It then gets scanned and loaded in Photoshop, where either I or the lovely and talented/super hot Brenda will paint it. Some pages are drawn in one piece, some are constructed from individual drawings pasted on the page. As they are done, they are sent to DoFantasy, where they appear on the websites. After the conclusion, somewhere between 40-48 pages, the comic is arranged into a PDF format and placed for download. Some are selected to go to print and are sold in graphic novel format.
fernando

Post by fernando »

Aldranar wrote:Ah yes indeed, Cagri did nicely.

Actually, Fernando, could you do something alike as well, with Mrs. Bauer for example? As in, start on a white sheet and then draw her? And of course videotape it :D
That would be awesome really ^^
Here's a sample, Aldranar. It starts with a (very rough) light sketch over which I do my "drawing and inking" process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrUwAq1lvO4

The video is NOT speeded up so you see the actual speed.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Interesting video Fernando. :)

I had a question about the different toons. If you go back to one of your series after a bit of a hiatus (like recently with Cheerleaders 8) do you first have to go back to some concept drawings of the main characters to get a feel for them again or are they all still in your fingers/mind?
comicglutton

Post by comicglutton »

Thanks for the video,Fernando. It's easy for we readers to underestimate the skill, time and patience required to produce each image. I raise my hat to you, Fernando, as well as to all the other dofantasy artists who work so hard to bring us these wonderful comics.
Aldranar

Post by Aldranar »

Thanks Fernando!

And damn, that once again shows just how much effort is needed for one "simple" scene. I wish I could draw like that as well really. I mean, when you start with the eyes, just lines, then you ink it and voila, there's a whole awesome expression in those eyes with just a few lines. Fantastic.
hartia8

Post by hartia8 »

Great demonstration, Fernando.