A question for Bego

Comments and requests to DOFANTASY.COM artists and art staff. Send your ideas, fantasies, stories, whatever you want to see in a coming DOFANTASY.COM comic.
Sarenaph

A question for Bego

Post by Sarenaph »

What does a comic earn an artist on Dofantasy? $1000? More? Less?

I realise an answer can't be given on an open forum but if you or anyone in the know would like to email me at sarenaph@btinternet.com I am interested in maybe a collaborative project whereby I commission the comic from the artist and pay for it and then give it to Dofantasy to sell (giving the artist a percentage of sales of course). Thereby generating Dofantasy more profit, the artist a greater income (which may make making DoFantasy comics an even more attractive prospect for some) and me a sense of doing some good and getting more great stories produced!

This is a serious offer, unfortunately I'm limited on my means of initial contact with DoFantasy. Hopefully from this we can take the conversation to email.
ROBERTS

Re: A question for Bego

Post by ROBERTS »

None of us are on any sort of a "contract' so you're pretty much free to contact any artist you like..it's up to Bego if she wants to make that connection for you.
as for earnings of a comic, a lot of us are on a 50-50 sales structure (I am), so i draw a comic, it posts to PDF when ready, and we split the sales. So there really is no fixed rate..it might do well, it might bomb.

I don't think we're suffering much for a lack of materiál, it's more a lack of time..it takes time to draw and paint this stuff. And since most of us work alone, we're not a big time comics production house with writers, pencillers, inkers, colorists, editors all working together on a single project, we tend to be a bit slow.

Truth be known, a lot of us are professional illustrators with years of background and experience and this materiál is not all we do all day all month..the market dictates the production and fan support is 100% of our motivation. As with all freelance contractors, we put our efforts into the most supported work first.

I'm sure bego has no problém hooking you up with your artist of choice, have you tried to Email her at webmaster@dofantasy.com?
Sarenaph

Post by Sarenaph »

Thanks Roberts, appreciate the response. Some of your Comics are favourites of mine!
Naj

Post by Naj »

Based on my point of view, there's no shortage of ideas more a shortage of artistic talent and time for said talent to do their thing. I have a script I submitted over a year ago... still waiting on that one. The existing stock of comics artists are probably working at capacity (I know I am). If you have any outside artists that would be interested, you can certainly float the idea by Bego with sample images, but depending on who you commission, it might not get accepted nor necessarily turn much of a profit (if any) since Dofantasy is most likely still a small-business type affair.

As a ghostwriter I'm paid by the word. When I floated the idea of doing a comic, I was offered a set rate per page as a "new artist," but I don't think I have the motivation to complete even one comic, never mind a series which I'd originally planned. The first three and 1/3rd pages of a planned comic languishing on my harddrive is testament to that.
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Yes Naj, you're on the mark..Just from my area here, I'm awash in ideas I fear may never be seen..But I am just terribly slow and just too damn precise with my drawing. A 4-5 panel comics page might také me days. I envy those guys all over YouTube who can whip out a sketch and speed paint it to a gorgeous image all in a 20 minute video clip, I wish I could make myself work at that speed and overcome my OCD with line art, I could produce a new comic each month! And frankly there isn't enough money in this anymore to use a more traditional comics production method of writers, storyboards, pencillers, inkers, colorists/painters and editors to have a tight production Schedule and plan projects well in advance. Just can't do it. So we are all pretty much doing it all ourselves, and yeah, it takes a long time.