Warlord of Mars? Anyone know this comic?

Talk about anything off the top of your head. Chat, socialize, anything...
LOLord

Re: Warlord of Mars? Anyone know this comic?

Post by LOLord »

I think he using pencil-> ink-> digital color method with some partner, so it's fast!
Ferres

Post by Ferres »

Penciler, inker, colorist, text balloon/effects guy, and the writer. Five guys. It's a fuckin' conveyor belt style mass production. :ugeek:
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Yeah, it does get pretty high pressure and heartless I'm sure..and at the pay rate they get, producing masses of material in a short time is the only way to pay the rent...comics artists aren't driving Masserattis..not these days..
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

From his wiki:

Campbell does his pencil with a lead holder, and Sanford Turquoise H lead, which he uses for its softness and darkness, and for its ability to provide a "sketchy" feel, with a minimal amount of powdery lead smearing. He uses this lead because it strikes a balance between too hard, and therefore not dark enough on the page, and too soft, and therefore prone to smearing and crumbling. Campbell avoids its closest competitor because he finds it too waxy. Campbell has also used HB lead and F lead. He maintains sharpness of the lead with a Berol Turquoise sharpener, changing them every four to six months, which he finds is the duration of their grinding ability.[8] Campbell uses a combination of Magic Rub erasers, eraser sticks, and since he began to ink his work digitally, a Sakura electric eraser. He often sharpens the eraser to a cornered edge in order to render fine detailed work.[9]

I'm sure the jargon will make more sense to you guys than it does to me. :D
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I wish he'd return to his "Danger Girl" series, the follow up titles to his original series were done by other artists and they rather miss the charm of the original. Of the many things I don't understand about the comic book world, the thing that confuses me the most is the (from my perspective) rather random assigning of series to artists.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I have to say stuff like this intrigues me.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/ ... 2yp117.jpg

What would you call your own main influences (question to all of our resident artists). :)
Ferres

Post by Ferres »

I would also take Frazetta and Shirow for my list. But my very first influence was Richard Corben and he is completely ingrained in me.
LOLord

Post by LOLord »

SO you did like muscle heroine after all, Ferres! You just cant denied your inner self!
Ferres

Post by Ferres »

LOLord wrote:SO you did like muscle heroine after all, Ferres! You just cant denied your inner self!
Actually those 3 artist don't do 'muscle heroine' stuff. Corben had muscled men but not his women. Corben girls had other attributes worth noting.
Last edited by Ferres on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Hadn't heard of Corben before.

To my untrained eyes, his art reminds me a bit of Gregor Rosinski's.

http://komiks.nast.pl/gfx/plansze/thorgal29pp2.jpg