Blackmail

Talk about anything off the top of your head. Chat, socialize, anything...
arrakur

Blackmail

Post by arrakur »

Yesterday I received an email whith the threat to publish my personal data ( which where actually in the email ) from an order I placed at dofantasy if I don't pay up within a few days.

I don't want to give dofantasy any grieve, but it seems the site has been hacked and I wanted you to know.
The email also contained a tasteless, possibly defametory remark about Bego.

I am not overly worried about this, not the first time i was blackmailed online and the personal data were not up to date. But I deemed it prudent to let dofantasy know.
arrakur

Re: Blackmail

Post by arrakur »

And I should add, before causing a 'panic' among the costumers... my personal data mentioned in the blackmail-email is from two decades ago. Correct adress, telephone number, creditcard information... but, again, from way back and no longer in use.
Naj

Post by Naj »

For what it's worth, I got one too with accurate information from a while ago. After thinking about it and talking with a friend, it's not worth it to pay this person. They would have no way of knowing who paid what and are going to do what they are going to do either way. You can't guarantee they will never post it even if you pay.

I did inform Bego about it, so Bego is aware. I won't divulge what she said to me, but it sounds like she's doing the best she can. I won't say too much since the email implies the hacker knows this forum exists and is watching also. From what I understand, it's not recent information, that's all I'm going to say in the interests of calming those who may be harmed by this. Not going to help a lot, but it's something.

So as an open letter to this hacker, you may not like Bego's practices, but threatening to reveal innocent bystanders' information is a dick move that makes you no "better" no matter how much you rail about Bego's perceived practices. You are worse, and that is the most tragic thing.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and an eye for an eye just leaves the whole world blind. You did the damage you claim to do in the name of "justice" already, so if you are as "good" a person as you claim to be, just leave it at that. If not... well... you've told me just the kind of person you are.

Hurting the very people you claim to be defending is low, and I'm disappointed in what you've done. I hope you can find yourself a better path forward because I do feel you have some value based on the words you wrote. I hope you can find a way out of the darkness you find yourself in, because this ain't it, chief.

You may not realize it, but if you follow through with your threats and dox the people least deserving of it, you're only hurting yourself. There are injustices in the world, but adding to them only blackens your own spirit, your own soul. Your actions will come back to hurt you the further you go. I know this from experience. I know this to be true. You may not believe it, but there are deeper consequences to your actions, and more than the pain, it's the sadness you will regret the most. You grow cold hurting those you don't know, and that makes you hurt the people you do know, and they will turn away from you because you can't tell them what you've done, but they will know. They will see it in your actions, your words, how you hide things, how you laugh. They will know, and your blackened soul will carry you down before you realize it until it's too late and only then will you be gone.

But I don't think anyone is too far gone to be saved. I don't believe that. There are injustices in the world, but you don't have to be part of them.

For my part, I don't blame you on how you feel.

But this... this is your choice. This is you. And how you feel and the consequences that will follow will be your own doing, and you will have no one to blame but yourself. And being in that dark pit, alone with your sins, is a punishment I don't wish on anyone, let alone you.

That's all. I hope you find yourself in a better place and fear you never will.
Naj

Post by Naj »

So young and already so bitter. I hope you find peace one day.
super
Administrator

Post by super »

The discussion will be taken further in a new topic here.