Tech things. Ipad

Talk about anything off the top of your head. Chat, socialize, anything...
Nuria

Tech things. Ipad

Post by Nuria »

If you have an Ipad, I imagine you want to read dofan comics on it.
One way is directly download the comics into the Ipad using Safari, the provided browser.

But if you have your comics in a pc and want to store them in an Ipad too, or Iphone, here is a trick a reader use:

"Normally I would move your comic pdf's from my desk top PC to my Ipad2 by emailing pdf's one at a time. Then I would load them into IBooks where it stays permanently. But there were some comics which were larger than 25 MBs and couldn't be transferred -there is a generic limitation on email regarding the maximum size of attachments-. Now I found a new way to do this. The Apple Store gal told me to load the app DROPBOX into my IPad2 for free. Then you load the same DROPBOX into your desktop or laptop with the Microsoft compatible version of DROPBOX. At my desktop I copy all my Fansadox comics to a created file called Fansadox comic collection (up to 2 GBs for free). Then you wait maybe a hour or so and you can access the same comics from your Ipad or cell phone. The experience is amazing. Now I can access all books, pdfs, photos, and anything I desire. I will use DROPBOX for all my Europe trip photos as backup to my camera SD cards. Hope this helps you and all your friends to better enjoy your comics wherever they are. "
Demosthenes

Re: Tech things. Ipad

Post by Demosthenes »

I have been using Dropbox for a while to get comics (not just DF comics) onto my ipad.

You kind of have to if you are using Stanza, since the Apple assholes have changed it so that you no longer can use iTunes to upload comics directly to Stanza. :(
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

I'm working on an idea...my next website will have selectable formats for the comics pages..widescreen for monitors, or sequential panels for I-pads and even I-phone screens. The small screen is the future.
Ferres

Post by Ferres »

Red Riding Hood with over 118+ pages and counting would be a challenge for download when it's out. I have no idea how big it will be but it definitely would go over 40 megs.
PhallenFoenix

Post by PhallenFoenix »

ROBERTS wrote:I'm working on an idea...my next website will have selectable formats for the comics pages..widescreen for monitors, or sequential panels for I-pads and even I-phone screens. The small screen is the future.
That seems like a wonderful idea in theory, but it rather restricts you in terms of what layout you can use, and means you can't make anything go outside of the lines of its frame.

I recently have had too much experience in this, as I was turning a comic that was written in huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge jpg files into pdf page sized images, and the layout gave me all kinds of shit.
Bred to fight, born to kill,
Ready to die but never will
Thon

Post by Thon »

Thanks for the tip. Although I allready use Dropbox for this, it's good of yiu to share it.

Regarding Roberts idea, I find it very apealing and do believe it's easier to work around the format issues if you're the creator of the panels vs the editor of ready made panels.

Idea - Maybe there should be a separate forum section for tech issues?
PhallenFoenix

Post by PhallenFoenix »

Thon wrote:Thanks for the tip. Although I allready use Dropbox for this, it's good of yiu to share it.

Regarding Roberts idea, I find it very apealing and do believe it's easier to work around the format issues if you're the creator of the panels vs the editor of ready made panels.

Idea - Maybe there should be a separate forum section for tech issues?
Oh it's certainly EASIER if your the one designing the frames in the first place... But its no less restrictive.

It changes the way you need to do layouts. All text bubbles have to be in the panel with the person who's saying it. No one can go past the boundaries of their frame line.

On a more technical note, you need to consider aspect ratio. If you have a particularly long frame, it wont fit neatly on a small screen. It also prevents an artist from making composition calls, like arranging multiple smaller frames around a larger frame.

None of this cripples the idea, of course, and I never said that it is a unworkable idea or an undesirable one. I'm merely remarking about how much extra work it is for an artist.
Thon

Post by Thon »

Eh..but don't we already have those issues?? I maen, the standard DOF page size must already be causing the artists those problems. Please think outside of the box. Don't confine your self into already established patterns. After all, isn't that what artistery is all about?

But maybe your an editor and not an artist. A person who sets limits on artists. If so, please shut up and go do some bookeeping or something thats stricly regulated by rules.
PhallenFoenix

Post by PhallenFoenix »

Thon wrote:Eh..but don't we already have those issues?? I maen, the standard DOF page size must already be causing the artists those problems. Please think outside of the box. Don't confine your self into already established patterns. After all, isn't that what artistery is all about?

But maybe your an editor and not an artist. A person who sets limits on artists. If so, please shut up and go do some bookeeping or something thats stricly regulated by rules.
You seem like either a very angry man, or a very skilled troll.

The only concern I ever expressed was for the difficulty of crafting a comic in multiple size formats, and concern for the increase in time it would take for a comic to be released. I have neither the authority or the intent to "instruct" Mr. Roberts to do or not do anything.

Furthermore, I have been nothing but civil. Sad that you have chosen to not do the same.
Thon

Post by Thon »

I' m sorry for my stupid remark. Sadly I wrote it in a bad mood caused by "real life issues". I sought refuge here to escape those problems. By no fault of you, you became the target of my frustrations. I'm truly sorry, everyone is entiteled to thier own opinion and I'm thankfull to you for sharing you experinces with us. Onest.
it will not happen again.